Who Should Enrol
This qualification is aimed at lecturers at higher education institutions
with an interest in embracing e-learning.
To enrol for this programme, potential students must possess:
- An appropriate Bachelor’s Degree on NQF exit level 7 or
- An Advanced Diploma on NQF exit level 7
- Appropriate working experience related to higher education, distance
higher education or post-secondary technical and vocational education
and training, which will be regarded as important determinants
Students need to complete four compulsory modules and three elective
- Introduction and field: Distance Higher Education
- Online Teaching and Learning (Pedagogy)
- Online Teaching and Learning (Technology)
- Assessment in Higher Education
- Curriculum/Programme Design
- Module/Learning Unit Design
- Higher Education Leadership and Management
- Higher Education Policy and Regulatory Framework
- Research in Higher Education – Educational Research
- Higher Education Service Learning (Community
engagement/Community based learning
- Quality Enhancement in Higher Education
Exit Level Outcomes
On achieving this qualification, a learner will be able to:
- demonstrate knowledge of and engagement in the field of distance
education theory and practice
- demonstrate knowledge of and engagement in higher education
assessment theory and practice and will be able to use the knowledge
in the context of distance higher education
- demonstrate an understanding of the selection and application of
standard procedures, processes and approaches in higher education
programme/curriculum design and/or module/learning unit design
with specific reference to application in the distance education
- demonstrate the ability to identify, analyse and address complex
problems and challenges in distance higher education by drawing
systematically and critically on the body of knowledge pertaining to
the fields of higher education
- demonstrate the ability to evaluate and reflect on current thinking,
practices and research in distance higher education and education in
To successfully complete and meet the requirements of the
programme, participants must pass various formative and summative
assessment tasks for each of the modules.
The successful candidate will be awarded with a Postgraduate Diploma
in Distance Higher Education (NQF Level 8).
Duration and Format
Postgraduate Diploma in Distance Higher Education is offered as an
e-learning qualification. The minimum period for completion is 12
months and the maximum period is 24 months.
SAQA number 109941, NQF Level 8, 120 Credits.
- Council on Higher Education accredited
R 29 900.00 (Inclusive of all VAT and taxes where applicable).
Please note that there is a R300 application fee.