“To create innovative, evidence based high quality educational programmes in order to position FPD as a leading provider of Higher Education.”
The Education Innovation Department (EID) is a support Department which delivers a comprehensive, coordinated and integrated academic development service to the Foundation for Professional Development (FPD).
EID’s strategic objective is to ensure that FPD has an offering of innovative qualifications and short learning programmes to ensure the sustainability of FPD as a Private Higher Education Institution.
The six critical performance areas for EID are as follows:
- Curriculum design of qualifications and short learning programmes
- Accreditation of qualifications with the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET), Council on Higher Education (CHE) and South African Qualifications Authority (SAQA)
- Instructional design of qualifications and short courses for e-learning
- Professional development of Academic Staff
- Regulatory compliance
- Monitoring and Evaluation of Educational Programmes
EID provides support based on the vision and mission of the Institution, the strategic priorities as well as the programme development needs as identified by the Schools and Units.
EID also provides guidance to the Schools and Units regarding innovative qualifications for careers for the future, based on legislative and environmental factors. EID furthermore, provides professional development services of Academic Staff through means of FPD’S Scholarship of Teaching and Learning.
A more detailed description of the function of EID is listed below:
The curriculum and course design of qualifications as well as short learning programmes services include:
- Curriculum development of formal qualifications and short learning programmes.
- Project manage the development of teaching and learning material.
- Quality assurance and improvement of teaching and learning material.
Accreditation of qualifications with the CHE and SAQA registration services include:
- Submission of qualifications to regulatory authorities for accreditation.
- Submission of short learning programmes to professional bodies for accreditation with regard to CPD points.
The instructional design services that EID offers include:
- Design of teaching and learning material to support interactive teaching and learning by means of Educational Technology (EdTech) and Learning Experience Design (LXD) both for internal and external clients.
- Create technology-enhanced teaching and learning materials of exceptional standard through the use computer technology such as authoring software, HTML editors, graphic packages, and other standard multimedia and web development tools.
- Design and structure the participants learning experience by means of learning theories, concepts and strategies to improve quality of learning.
- Work collaboratively with academic staff in designing e-assessment and advising on teaching and learning strategies from an educational point of view.
EID contributes to the professional development of Academic Staff by facilitating programmes aimed at improving:
- Curriculum development
- Teaching practices
- Assessment practices
- The use of technology in Education
The regulatory compliance services offered include:
- Ensuring compliance with all regulatory authorities and bodies.
- Regular reporting to all regulatory authorities and bodies.
- Develop and or update of FPD Academic policies and SOP’s aligned with CHE, SAQA and DHET regulations.
- Maintaining CPD accreditation of educational programmes with relevant professional bodies.
The evaluation and research services that EID offers include:
- Evaluate academic programmes both for internal and external clients.
- Contribute to the FPD Scholarship of Teaching and Learning through researching and evaluating the effectiveness of technology-enhanced teaching and learning strategies.
- Contribute to other department’s research outputs through the evaluation of programmes.
- Disseminate research findings that position FPD as a respected academic institution
- Enable sales team to sell evidence-based quality academic programmes.